Pages

Monday 17 April 2017

A-Z Challenge 2017 - Houses, some real, some not - N

N - Normanby Hall

This is a house that provides a link, for me, with Lincolnshire hockey, a steelworks, Buckingham Palace and a Prime Minister's wife.

In 1960 I started work at Richard Thomas & Baldwins Redbourn Works in Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire; other works in the town were run by Appleby Frodingham and Lysaghts. The Lysaghts plant was called the Normanby Park steelworks.

I played hockey for Redbourn against App-Frod and the team from Normanby Park whose pitch was located in the estate surrounding Normanby Hall.


Normanby Hall
(12 August 2006 - by E Asterion u talking to me - CC BY-SA 2.5)
This classic English mansion is 5 miles north of Scunthorpe and was built between 1825 and 1830 for Sir Robert Sheffield whose family titles include the Duke of Buckingham.

John Sheffield who had become Duke of Buckingham and Normanby in 1703 built the fine Buckingham House in London - Buckingham Palace as we know it today.

Samantha, the daughter of Sir Reginald Sheffield the 8th Baronet is the wife of the recent ex-Prime Minister, David Cameron.

9 comments:

FinnBadger said...

Fascinating connections - sounds like part of a film plot, or the beginning of a joke!

Phillip | N is for Naked (Don’t be alarmed, no nudity).

Keith's Ramblings said...


I live quite near Scotney Castle in Kent and visit it often. I assume it's your home!

Another day in Amble Bay!

Bob Scotney said...

Keith - No such luck!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob - I know I remember our discussion re Scotney Castle - pity as you'd be nearby and we could meet and natter all things! However wonderful connections you've found here - and yes they all tie in ...

There are some other interesting tie ins with Royalty as written up in Wiki on Samantha Cameron ... strange but true ... cheers Hilary

http://positiveletters.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/n-is-for-notable-rare-breeds-natives.html

Kristin said...

This is a very nice home, even though it's a fine, big place, it's not so big I can't imagine a family living in it.

Finding Eliza

Jo said...

I worked, in London, for a company who's head office was in Scunthorpe. I was sent there to familiarise myself with the place. Pegson's if you ever heard of them? Fascinating house and history.

Bob Scotney said...

Jo - we lived in Scunthorpe for 10 years before moving to the north east. I remember Persons name but not what they did.

FinnBadger said...

I'd forgotten that Queen Victoria died there.

Phillip | O is for an Octopus named Hank He’s also Orange!

Melanie said...

I've driven through Scunthorpe on the way to visit family in Dragonby.