Pages

Sunday 26 June 2016

Flags or Ensigns - Sunday Stamps II

The Stars and Stripes have appeared on many USA stamps.

In 1952 the 200th Anniversary of the birth of Betsy Ross was commemorated by the issue of this stamp.

USA - 2 January 1952
The flag depicts Betsy showing the newly designed flag to George Washington. Congress adopted the design on 14 June 1777.

The scene of Marines raising the US flag on Mount Suribachi was depicted in a stamp, issued on 11th July 1945.

USA - Iwo Jima
If you are not flagging yet visit others' choices at Sunday-Stamps-II-80.

6 comments:

Heleen said...

I love the way the flag is depicted in the first stamp, almost hidden: I had to look twice before I noticed the flag, as I expected a big one and blue-red-white. Great scene.

Mail Adventures said...

I had never seen these. But yes, I'm amazed that the USA falg appears isçn so many stamps, every year.

FinnBadger said...

Very interesting to see these classic stamps in monochrome printing, thanks for sharing.

Joy said...

Interesting to see a circle in the original flag. Wonder how long it took her to sew it.

VioletSky said...

It nice to see a stamp depicting something with the flag as opposed to just the flag itself.
The Betsy Ross stamp with the original design is very nice.

Jo said...

Interesting stamps Bob. I particularly like the Betsy Ross one.