Pages

Sunday 5 June 2016

Canines - Sunday Stamps II

I have one stamp with a wolf and one with a fox but by far the most of my canines are dogs.

Sharjah in the United Arab Emirates has two fine sheets, one for airmail and one for, presumably, ordinary post.

Sharjah - Air Mail, 28 December 1972
Sharjah - 28 December 1972
I have been unable to find any information on the dog breeds but I'm sure that you will recognise some.

For dogs from other countries please follow the links at http://seeitonapostcard.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/sunday-stamps-ii-77.html

6 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob - some of them are very obvious ... but so odd to see the settings of them in an English country setting for Sharjah

Finally a lovely day down here ... enjoy yours - cheers Hilary

Joy said...

It's like cruffs on a stamp sheet, a nice portrayal of dogs.

VioletSky said...

I knew you would have a fine selection of dogs for us this week!

Ana said...

awwww, a Rough Collie!! It is so graciously portrayed here! Love it!!

Heleen said...

I like these designs, and also I think it a surprising choice by Sharjah Mail.
Nice puzzle to find out which breeds these are! As a child for some reason I knew many types of dog breeds. I had a children's encyclopedia on dogs which I almost knew by heard, although (or because:-) ) we didn't have pets at home. But now I only recognize a few, only know the upper rows for sure: of the four stamp sheet the doberman pinscher and the scottish (rough) collie - the stamp immediately brings back good memories of the famous tv serie Lassie - and the upper row of the stamp sheet below the basset, yorkshire terrier and english cocker spaniel. For the others I have to guess (retriever or labrador; pointer or ??; terrier or setter or?; shih tzu or lhaso apso or?; pekingese?).
Probably the other viewers can help?!

Thank you for sharing!

Mail Adventures said...

Living in Morocco, I find strange that a mostly Islamic country issues stamps with dogs. Here dogs are traditionally considered "impure" animals, and hardly admitted in homes. But that is changing, and I see more and more dogs as pets.