Pages

Friday 26 September 2014

Guys in uniform

My father and at least one of his brothers served in WWI, my brothers in WWII. I have no photos of them in uniform except for copies of war photos of my elder brother in the Fleet Air Arm, some of which I have shown before.

Arthur (on the left)
My sons have not had to join the forces but did turn out in uniform.

Cub scouts  - eldest son's head under someone's arm!
Although I did two years (mandatory, then) National Service in the Royal Signals no photos of me in uniform exist.

In August this year the town of Yarm held a service at the war memorial to commemorate the centenary of the start of WWI. Men and a few women in uniform took part.

Army cadets at the head of the parade.

If you look closely at their arms you might think they are out of step. The video below shows just how badly.


My old Sergeant Major would have had a fit.

Later there was a drum head service in another part of the town.

Cadets waiting to take part
When the fun fair began I just wonder whether it was as entertaining as this.


Not like my Sergeant Major at all.

Now march over to the links at Sepia-Saturday-247.


13 comments:

Wendy said...

I was impressed at how those cadets could swing their arms to the music, but a few people obviously had no rhythm or were tired of swinging.

Unknown said...

Some of them look like they hurt! And the guys at the end are completely screwed up, aren't they? Owell, it's the spirit of it all, isn't it?

Jo said...

I still think stopping National Service was a mistake.

La Nightingail said...

The fellows in the front of the group were keeping with the beat pretty well. It was the slackers bringing up the rear who were lazy sons-a-guns. Or, it might have been they couldn't hear the music or drums back there? On the other hand, they should have been watching those in front of them. It was rather odd that the group was so divided into marchers and slackers, however.

Anonymous said...

I love a street parade with a brass band so feel sorry for the lads who can't hear the beat of the music to march to.

Postcardy said...

I enjoyed seeing the views of Yarm in the parade video.

21 Wits said...

Your son is funny! They're having a great time. Beautiful photos and that grass wow, how rich in color it is!

Barbara said...

Oh dear, more practice required me thinks! I loved all your photos, especially the one of your son, it made me laugh out loud. My son (now aged 40) was always the one to do something like that.

Anonymous said...

Good to hear George Formby again. And can always understand every word he says, not like some singers.

Little Nell said...

How disappointing; I’d rather like to see you in uniform. Those poor cadets - and caught on film!

Barbara Rogers said...

Small town parades are so poignant, most people know each other...or maybe someone in the parade. Service for the community again, even if you can't march in time.

Mike Brubaker said...

The video was very funny. I think they were not used to marching in close formation at a slower parade pace. And of course the smaller female cadets had a different length stride too.

Sharon said...

Surely there would be a photo of you somewhere? Do you remember having one taken? Maybe enrolments?