Pages

Tuesday 30 April 2013

A-Z Challenge 2013 - Zed


My A-Z posts this year are based on my garden – flowers, animals, the birds and the bees, butterflies - with a bit of poetry thrown in. For some letters I am expecting to cheat somewhat – wishing they were here.

Zed

“Thou whoreson zed! thou unnecessary letter”  (King Lear. Act 2 Scene 2, Line 68)

Z - Zinnia

Like many I am pleased to get to ‘Z even although I have no flowers in my garden beginning with ‘Z’.

So I have chosen Zinnia as a flower we could grow if I went out and bought some bedding plants. Hopefully they would look like this - eventually,

Bunch of Zinnias
I do not know of a bird or butterfly for ‘Z’ so I guess Zinnia will have to be my swansong this year, unless you will accept this:
  
Zebra Plant (Calathea zabrina)
I have never seen a plant like this and I don't think that we will ever see a real zebra in our garden.

The garden theme has taught me just how much we take for granted and how many things there are that I have still not photographed.

Finding poems connected with my posts has taken me down avenues that I had never been down before, Hope you have enjoyed what I found as much as I did.

My special thanks to everyone who has commented. I know many others have visited my posts as well – thank you for that.

Photos:
  • Zinnias - Drilnoth - Public domain
  • Zebra Plant - Cliff from Arlington, Virginia, USA - CC BY 2.0 (upload Magnus Manske)

6 comments:

aw said...

What a wide range of colour there are in those zinnias. Bob. Don't think we have ever grown those at all. Well done on completing the A-Z Challenge with a great range of pictures.
Ann

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

I've always loved zinnias. My grandmother used to grow them in our garden. Flowers don't survive the deer where we live now!

Mary Montague Sikes

Jo said...

Now you have to plant some Zinnias Bob, they are pretty. Enjoyed sharing your garden, it was a nice theme.

JO ON FOOD, MY TRAVELS AND A SCENT OF CHOCOLATE

ScotSue said...

Congratulations, Bob, on completing the A-z Challenge. It was a lovely theme with some stunning photographs to cheer us up in the current cold weather. I hope you are beginning to recover from your shingles.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob .. I love zinnias they such bright cheerful flowers .. cheers and congratulations on finishing .. Hilary

Anonymous said...

Hi Bob, I am here from the A-Z challenge. I've enjoyed your theme. You've picked such lovely photos and poems. What a LOT of work that must have been.

Your johnny jump ups made me smile as did "dog in disgrace."

Next year I am going to post according to a theme too. Although at this moment I have no idea what it will be.

Congrats on finishing the challenge.