Pages

Sunday 23 September 2012

Nobel and Pulitzer Prize Winners - Sunday Stamps

I have two female prizewinners for you today from different sides of the Atlantic.

Selma Lagerlöf (1858-1940)
Selma was the first female to win the Nobel Prize for Literature which she was awarded in 1909. A children's writer, her most famous work was "The Wonderful Adventures of Nils." As befits a Swedish woman she appears on one of her country's stamps.

Sweden - Selma Lagerlöf - Nobel Prize 1909
 I also found a Russian stamp for Selma.

Russia (image ex Wikipedia)
The American writer Margaret Mitchell only had one novel published in her lifetime. "Gone With The Wind" won her the National Book Award for the most distinguished novel of 1936 and the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1937.

Margaret Mitchell (1900-1940)
"Gone With The Wind" appears on a stamp celebrating the century in the USA.

USA - Gone With the Wind
Now's the time to check out others posts at Viridian's sunday-stamps-89

"After all ... tomorrow is another day."


11 comments:

Sandra Tyler said...

I never heard of Langerlof. Interesting!

VioletSky said...

the design of the Swedish stamp is great.
and I have never actually read Gone With The Wind - though I have seen the movie many times.

tony said...

As with Violet I have never read the novel....the States seem to have several writers who write their first,famous blockbuster then become recluse..I wonder was she the same?

Lisa B said...

I hadn't heard of Selma Lagerloef, interesting that she features on a Russian stamp too. I hadn't seen the Gone with the Wind stamp before, but for me it's a tad disappointing in the design as the film and book are just so great, I would have hoped a stamp design could come somewhere near the beauty of the film. Maybe I'm just hoping to see Clarke Gable on another stamp ;).

La Crona said...

It feels great that you honoured Selma with this post today, included in your stamp collection.

Ana said...

Havent heard of Selma before, so this was a great read.
Boy, i so much love books that I just feel so excited with today's theme!
That Gone with the Wind stamp is awesome!

viridian said...

I have read GWTW - it's fine, I don't think it's great literature that will last for generations (my opinion only).

Thanks for joining in today!!

Postcardy said...

I really like the design of the Swedish stamp. I am surprised that a writer for children won a Nobel prize for literature.

JJ said...

I don't know Selma. Thanks for the lead.

♥♥ Willa ♥♥ said...

OMG! Gone With The Wind is one of my most favorite book ever!! I wish to have that stamp.
My Sunday Stamp: Literature and Books

Joy said...

I didn't remember Selma's name but the wonderful adventures of Nils does ring a bell in connection with an illustration of the story on stamps. I must have seen one somewhere, who knows it might have been on Sunday Stamps!
Its an interesting US stamp. I like the simplicity of it.