Pages

Sunday 22 July 2012

Olympics - Sunday Stamps

Next Sunday the Olympic Games will have begun in London. London is the only city to host the games three times. I was 11 in 1948, the last time the games were held in London. These were the stamps issued to commemorate those Olympics, the so-called "Austerity" Games.

Great Britain - 1948 Olympics
I wish I could say I had these stamps in my collection but I have to admit they are taken from a catalogue.

One wonders what got into the minds of those who decided this would be the first stamp issued for 2012.

Great Britain - Logo for London 2012

The obsession with the Olympics rings gripped Canada for Montreal in

Canada - Montreal 1976 
But thanks to my pet market stall I managed to find some stamps showing individual sports.


Nicaragua - Los Angeles 1984

I must admit the 1948 stamps would be my favourites, if only I had them in my collection.

For more Olympians check out Sunday-stamps-80.

13 comments:

Helen said...

Hi Bob. Great stamps. I am lucky enough to have the 1/ 1948 stamp in my collection. I nearly shared it today too - but I didn't have it scanned. I will have to be on the lookout for the other three to complete my collection now!

I also really like the rainbow rings of the Canadian stamps.

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

I have to say I think the 2012 logo is dreadful. Such a missed opportunity. All your other stamps are superb.

Unknown said...

A fascinating subject and I also wish I had the 1948 stamps.

Joy said...

I went with the Austerity Games too, as inheriting some stamps from my father, they aren't as pristine as your example though. Your local pet stall came up trumps with the others.

Jo said...

Bit of a difference in the prices. I bet you can't find a stamp for twopence halfpenny today (tuppence haypenny. Even the Canadian ones, when we came here in 75 internal postage was 8 cents, now its about a buck.

VioletSky said...

Yes, I remember those psychedelic '76 games!
The stamps for the 'austerity games' look much less austere than the one today!

Marcie said...

A lovely collection. I like the 2012 stamp as well as the mascot!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob .. I agree our stamps are awful aren't they .. really depressing - can't say I'm that enthusiastic about the logo anyway - love the Olympics .. but ......

Love your 1948 stamps though - sorry you haven't got them in your collection ...

Cheers Hilary

Little Nell said...

There are some beauties here. I haven’t got any Olympic stamps. The nearest I’ve got is a PC of the Olypic Stadium Berlin, that I sent to my dad in 1984; the stamps are just Berlin stamps of that era.

viridian said...

The 2012 London logo looks like a tangle of tectonic plates. Or a child's building blocks, tumbled together.
Anyhow, thanks for participating!

Aimee Dars said...

It must have been fascinating to be in London during the "Austerity Games" and such a contrast to today's Olympics.

♥ Willa @ Postage Journal♥ said...

Someone posted on twitter that the olympic logo this year,with it's color yellow and orange looks like Lisa Simpson giving Bart a bj! LOL! (sorry!)
--Willa @ Postage Journal

Bruno Laliberté said...

I see we had similar inspiration for stamps this week.
:)~
HUGZ