Pages

Thursday 6 October 2011

Up the Pole - Sepia Saturday

Alan's image of ladies with banners made me think of the suffragettes at first but then I had other ideas as you will see. I used 'poles' as my theme.

In deference to the ladies this is the first I came across
Brisbane fete 1915 (by John F Shale)
Group of women behind the counter at the fete, Brisbane, 1915. The ladies are helping out at the Produce Store stall at the Rosalie-Milton Patriotic Fete. The stall is decorated with bunting and flags and has a large banner over the stall advertising Advance Australia Produce. (The pole is horizontal this time). [Held by the John Oxley Library, State Library of Queensland]

In a gentle pursuit I discovered two ladies on a river with one fishing pole.[New York Public Library; Robert N Dennis collection of stereoscopic views]

One pole led to another but somehow I don't think the suffragettes would have approved of this:
Stripper on a pole

Perhaps I'd be on safer ground with an image of a maypole.
From a Little Pretty Pocket Book; 1767 Isaiah Thomas
I'm sure you will have noticed that all the ladies have disappeared. Now I switched to an even older theme - the hero of the Battle of Dettingen in 1723, one Thomas Brown.
Tom Brown House (sign)
You may read all about Tom's heroic exploits at The Valiant Dragoon. The sign remains in Yarm Town Hall, and has yet to to be erected on Tom's old house in the town. The colours he carries in the picture are those he recovered from the French at Dettingen.

Flags surround the statueof another local hero.
Andrew Mynarski VC, RCAF
Mynarski's statue stands outside the St George Hotel adjacent to the Durham, Tees Valley Airport. The hotel used to be the Officers' Mess at RAF Middleton St George. Mynarski was awarded a posthumous VC in October 1944. You may read his story at A Hero's Salute.

Don't forget to visit Sepia Saturday 95

16 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob .. I love the photos and the way you link things .. only a man would put the stripper in!! Cheers I'd love my body to twine itself round a pole like that .. don't think too hard on it ..

Cheers - Autumn is now here .. Hilary

Unknown said...

Cunningly construed and constructed; and educational as well - love the background info on Tom Brown and Andrew Mynarski. Couldn't you find anything about the Pole Dancer?

Unknown said...

The story about Andrew Mynarski and Pat Brophy was touching, thank you for sharing it. I'd never heard of the Battle of Dettingen, so that was interesting too.

BTW thank you for the dynamic view test pages. The flipcards look promising, but only as an addition, not a replacement of the main page.

Liz Stratton said...

Fun take on the theme. I don't think I would ever have come up with poles!

Brett Payne said...

I've heard tell that pole-dancing is good way to get fit, fit for what I don't know, but I presume more pole-dancing.

I like the stereocard view of a woman seated by a Vermont waterfall, in what would now be considered particularly inapproriate clothing!

Mike Brubaker said...

This deserves a special prize for most spins on a theme. Well done.

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

How do you know she's a stripper?

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

I've just noticed that people's avatars are not showing. Is that one of your settings, or the new dynamic view?

Bob Scotney said...

Thanks for all your comments so far. Dynamic views appears to have some quirks that I don't like:
New followers have to use the RSS feed.
I've lost all sidebar information - The archive list was always useful to me. The Timeslide view is the nearest you can get to it but is a pain unless you know what your are looking for.
Sheila - loss of avatars on comments must be a DV thing - See Doug's (Crazyasa Cool Fox)blog.
Sheila: stripper? My memory fails me!
Mike Burnett: There's a lot about pole dancing but I censored all but the stripper.

Kristin said...

I never would have thought of poles as the theme.

Alan Burnett said...

Back in the days of my youth coach tour companies used to run things called "mystery tours". You would get on the coach without the destination being revealed and see where the driver took you. I always enjoy your Sepia Saturday mystery tours and your many-faceted interpretations of the theme.
The new Blog style looks sharp - just off to explore some of the other "pages"

Alan Burnett said...

Oh I do like that - I feel an experiment coming on.

Postcardy said...

If you switch back to the old design, do you get your widgets back?

Bob Scotney said...

@ Postcardy; I certainly hope so. Losing them and not being able to get them on the dynamic view is one of the minus points for me.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hey, Bob ... you switched everything around! It looks great, nice and clean.

Loved your post, and you cracked me up as one thing led to another. The fishing pole is one I probably wouldn't have thought of.

Thank you so much for your visit. BTW, the rooms in the divided house were exactly the same on either side; just used for different purposes.

Kathy

Rosie said...

Pole dancing is being introduced in exercise classes, makes you quite fit, now if they could combine pole dancing with belly dancing, a person would be fit as a fiddle (and probably shaped like one)!