Pages

Sunday 12 July 2015

Sporting Events - Sunday Stamps II

As the finals at Wimbledon are being held this weekend I looked for tennis stamps.

Czechoslovakia - 22 Feb 1973
This stamp was to commemorate the 80th anniversary of the tennis organisation in Czechoslovakia.

It wasn't to be Andy Murray's year this time but:

Great Britain - 2013 - he won
From Australia I found an Olympic diver

Australia
If that date stamp is 1976, the Olympics were in Montreal that year.

I can still touch my toes but there is no way I could ever look as graceful as that.

Perhaps I would do better at archery in a European Championship.

Italy - 2011
I searched hard to find a stamp relating to women's football to celebrate the recent World Cup in Canada and England's relative success in finishing third.

I had to settle for the men's moment of glory in 1966 instead.

Great Britain

Get your tickets for other sporting events through the links at Sunday-Stamps-II-30.

7 comments:

Joy said...

I love that tennis ball stamp. Will Andy Murray ever make a third appearance on a stamp?

Postcardy said...

The tennis stamp immediately made me think of the Serena Slam.

FinnBadger said...

Great selection, and I agree, the tennis ball stamp is a lot of fun.

Heleen said...

Nice collection. I especially like the Australian swimmer stamp design!

~JarieLyn~ said...

The nice thing about Sunday Stamps is that I get to see a lot of stamps I've never seen before. I particularly like the archery stamp.

Jo said...

Serena Williams was on TV this morning talking about her hopes of winning the Grand Slam.

Watched some of Wimbledon but not a lot. I used to be glued to the TV watching in the UK. I like the tennis ball stamp too.

VioletSky said...

Love, love, love the tennis stamp!!